My Goal

For this goal, I wanted to understand how to have a strong presence in the classroom. We have not had the opportunity to be in the classroom in a long time due to COVID, so I with this goal I want to make sure I am able to have a strong presence in the classroom and lead my class effectively. My plan is to begin by finding videos or lectures from teachers who have a strong classroom presence and lead their classes well. Once I have been able to learn from them, I want to start curating resources that can help me develop my own classroom presence. I want to learn how to carry myself in the classroom so that I have the attention of the class and I am in control, but not in such a way that my students feel intimidated or unable to talk to me. This is obviously a delicate balance which is why doing this element of my research is so important.

How this Goal Connects to the Teacher Competencies

My goal of developing a stronger presence in the classroom meets competency two: Developing Growth Mindset, competency three: Exploring Professionalism, and competency five: Practice Effective Communication. Growth mindset is tied to this goal because I am working to develop a new skill and taking the knowledge I already have gain to help me learn. As well this goal is all about being confident in my abilities and knowledge, which is central to a growth mindset. This goal also meets exploring professionalism as your presence in the classroom is closely tied to your professional presence. Understanding how I want to present myself in the classroom allows me to explore my professionalism and how I will carry myself as a professional. Finally developing my presence in the classroom will allow me to understand how I will be preserved in the classroom, which will effect my communication with students. How students preserve you effects how they interact with you, meaning my classroom presence will greatly shape how I communicate with students.