Welcome to my free inquiry project! Over the course of this semester I plan to answer my free inquiry question “What caused the rise of western veganism and is there truth behind their arguments” through my weekly blog posts. These blog posts will cover the research I have done and what I have discovered over the course of this research.

Why this topic? Well I am a vegetarian, so I am aware of vegan culture and basic information about what it means to be vegan and that there are different ways to be vegan however I would like to better understand these concepts. My main goal however is to gain an understanding of the claims made by vegan activists and whether there is evidence to back them up.

I know the basics so let’s start simple and lay those out. What is veganism? Veganism, or being vegan, refers to consuming a diet free from meat, eggs, dairy, honey, gelatin and any other animal derived products. However, there is more to this diet than food as vegans also avoid animal products in all parts of their lives; meaning they do not wear leather or use products that have been tested on animals. For many people (I know for myself this is the case) their main experience with vegans has been through Instagram “influencers” who promote the lifestyle or protesters they have seen advocating for animal rights. These limited interactions mean that we are aware of the claims they make about veganism but not the facts behind them. Through these blog posts I plan to expand my knowledge on veganism and explore the evidence behind the claims made by vegan activists.